- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup dried elderberries
- 2 tbsp fresh sliced ginger root (or 1-2 drops ginger essential oil)
- 1 tbsp whole cloves (or 1 drop *clove essential oil or 1 tsp ground cloves)
- 1 to 2 cinnamon sticks (or 1 drop *cinnamon essential oil or ½-1 tsp ground cinnamon)
- ½ cup honey (or more or less to taste)
Add elderberries, ginger, clove and water to a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer for one hour or until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from heat and let cool a couple minutes. Strain thoroughly ( I usually strain twice) and honey, mix well and store in glass jar in fridge for up to two weeks.
*when using essential oils in place of fresh ginger, whole cloves or cinnamon, do not add oils until the pan is removed from heat and strained. You would add the oils when you add the honey.